Cinnamon Rolls, Fluffy
113g whole milk
23g all purpose flour
151g whole milk
300g all purpose flour
25g granulated sugar
2t instant yeast
57 unsalted butter, soft
1t butter, melted
107g brown sugar
2Tbsp all purpose flour
1.5Tbsp groung cinnamon
1t ground cardamom
42g butter, melted, divided
0.5t vanilla extract
170g confectioners' sugar
2Tbsp heavy cream, milk, or buttermilk
(preheat oven to 375F)
For the Tangzhong
Whisk the two ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until thickened. Transfer to a large bowl.
For the dough
Add the dough ingredients to the bowl with tangzhong in the order listed. Mix and knead to make a smooth, elastic, somewhat tacky dough. Cover and let rise until puffy, about 60-90min.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased work surface and pat it into a 10x12" rectangle.
- Stir together the filling ingredients and sprinkle over the dough, leaving a 0.5" strip uncovered on one of the long sides.
- Starting with the filling-covered long side, roll the dough into a log.
- Slice into eight equal pieces.
- Space the rolls 2"+ apart on a parchment lined baking sheet, tucking the tails underneath the rolls to hold them in place. Cover and let rise until puffy, 30-60min.
- Bake the rolls in a 375F oven for 14-18min, until light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and brush with 1.5Tbsp melted butter (21g total, all rolls).
- Mix the remaining (21g) butter into the icing, ice the rolls while warm.